Effective Date: February 2, 2015
When you use the Site or Software, you will provide information which includes your name, e-mail address and login credentials or registration information for your energy utility company's website which can be used to access your past energy bills and usage statements. This submitted information is only used by us to collect your billing and usage information and provide it to you and your energy technology provider to the extent requested by you through the Site or Software, unless you give us permission to use it in another manner. All passwords are encrypted using industry-standard encryption software according to the OpenPGP standard.
When you use the Site, we gather certain non-personally identifiable information from you, and this information can be associated with your user account. This includes usage information, such as information on what parts of the Site you are viewing and when, how often and for how long you use the Site. In addition, we collect server log data such as a computer's IP address, browser type and the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site.
We internally use the information we collect about you as follows:
(1) We will use submitted information for the purposes for which you provided the information, including, for example to access your energy billing and usage statements from your energy utility company or respond to a question that you e-mail to us.
(2) We may analyze collected information relating to your use of the Site and Software in order to help us improve our services and develop and improve other products and services.
(3) We may use submitted information and collected information to help troubleshoot problems, provide you with required notices, enforce our Consumer Authorization and Agreement or to alert you to changes in our policies or agreements that may affect you.
We share and disclose the information we collect about you as follows:
(1) We will share your energy billing and usage information with the energy technology provider in relation to which you accessed UtilityAPI's services and to which you have given your approval.
(2) We may provide third parties with aggregated and non-identifiable statistics about our user base and its usage patterns. This may include making available these statistics available on the Site or relating to the Software. Examples of these statistics include, but are not limited to, total number of accounts and signup rate per month.
(3) We may disclose non-personally identifiable information to third party partners in furtherance of our business arrangements with them, including without limitation to jointly offer a product or service to you or create interoperability between our products and services and the products and services of such partners. Examples of these include, but are not limited to, third party API integration (Salesforce, Facebook, etc.).
(5) We will use and disclose information where we, in good faith, believe that the law or legal process (such as a court order, search warrant or subpoena) requires us to do so or in other circumstances where we believe it necessary to protect the rights or property of UtilityAPI, our users, and third parties. As of November 14, 2016, we have not received any court orders requiring us to disclose aggregate user data or metadata.
We WILL NOT provide your personally identifiable information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your written consent. To be clear, agreeing to the Terms of Service, does NOT qualify as written consent for anyone other than the third parties listed on the consent form. We will ask for any additonal consent directly, if we ever do.
You can request to receive a copy of all energy billing and usage information we have collected from your energy utility company account at any time by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. You may request that we delete all such information through an e-mail sent to the same address.
The personally identifiable information we collect about you is stored in limited access servers. We will maintain reasonable safeguards to protect the security of these servers and your personally identifiable information. However, no security measures are 100% effective and we cannot guarantee the security of your personally identifiable information.
UtilityAPI is established in and uses facilities in the United States. Your information will be stored and processed in the United States in accordance with applicable laws.